The Sights of Novosibirsk City
The Museum of Regional Studies. Operating hours: 10am - 6pm, closed on Monday and Tuesday. The museum is located in the city center and occupies a beautiful mansion built in 1911. Founded in 1920, the museum houses 170,000 exhibits on 150,000 years of Siberia's history. The collection consists of archaeological finds, ethnographical items (clothing, household appliances), archive documents, pictures, etc. Traveling exhibits from other museums of Siberia.
Novosibirsk Art Gallery. Operating hours: 11am - 4:30pm, closed on Tuesday. The Gallery has one of the richest art collections in Russia - 8,000 works, among which there are 200 pictures by Western European masters, 500 paintings, sculptures and works of applied art. The Gallery is proud of its collection of paintings by Nikolai Rerich - 60 works were given to the Gallery according to the artist's will and five were later presented by his son Svyatoslav.
Geology Museum. Operating hours: 11am - 4:30pm. Located in Akademgorodok. The museum features samples of Siberian minerals and articles made of precious stones.
Museum of History. Visits by reservation only. Located in Akademgorodok. Opened in 1990. Its first exposition was dedicated to M. Lavrentyev, prominent scientist, a member of Novosibirsk Academy and several foreign Scientific Academies. Today it has displays on the history of science in Siberia.
Museum of the Sun. Operating hours: 11am - 4:30pm. Located in Akademgorodok. The museum's displays are devoted to the scientific study of the sun. You will find out many interesting facts about the great luminary.
City Tour by bus
The City Center. Despite its young age, Novosibirsk has a lot of historical and cultural sights. The tour starts from Gagarin-Mikhaylovsky Square near the railway station, named after the famous Russian engineer and Siberian writer. Novosibirsk train station is constructed in the shape of a vast locomotive and copes with over 70,000 passengers and 60 passenger trains daily. On to Lenin Street - you will see the Drama Theater, the Puppet Theater, the Central Post Office.
The State Opera and Ballet Theater. The next stop is the Opera and Ballet Theater - a symbol of Novosibirsk, known as the Bolshoi of Siberia. It is the biggest theater building in Russia with its unique 60-meter dome and a huge stage. Its construction began in 1931. The theater was opened on May 12, 1945 with Ivan Susanin opera by Glinka. Since then a lot of famous actors performed on its stage and the Theater's company traveled around the world having great success with spectators.
Krasny Prospekt (Red Avenue). The city's main street, Krasny Prospect stretches for 7 km from south to north. The Prospect's name has nothing to do with the red color, the word "red" meant "beautiful" in old Russian and many streets in Russian cities were named Krasny long before communists made this color their symbol. The Prospect is home to thriving shops and restaurants, museums and historical sights. See the City Hall, Heroes of the Revolution Square.
St. Prince Alexandr Nevsky Cathedral. The first stone building in Novosibirsk. Built at the end of the 19th century in Bysantine style, Alexandr Nevsky's Cathedral was closed for many years and was re-opened only in 1992, after the visit of Aleksey II, Patriarch of Russia.
Nikolai Chudotvorets' Chapel. The Chapel of St. Nicolas the Miracle Worker. Built in 1913 to commemorate the 300 years of Romanovs' Dynasty Reign, the Chapel was restored by the 100th anniversary of Novosibirsk, in 1993.
River Terminal. The place offers a nice view of the Ob river and the Garin-Mikhailovsky Bridge. The tour continues to the Youth Theater, the Dinamo Sports Complex, the Circus and the Cathedral of Ascension.
The Glory Monument. Opened in 1967 in honor of the Siberians who perished in World War II - 33,000 names are written on granite boards.
Tour of Akademgorodok
Generally, towns pride themselves on their size or their historical monuments. Akademgorodok is the smallest district of Novosibirsk and it is too young to have any historical monuments. Nevertheless, it is the most famous of Novosibirsk's districts which is no wonder - Akademgorodok is the first town of science. Built in 1958 right in the middle of an age-old forest, 28 km south of Novosibirsk, the town has preserved pinewood and birch coppices which gives it a special atmosphere of peace and serenity.
Akademgorodok is home to nearly 40 research institutes and academies, among which are the Nuclear Physics Institute, the Organic and Inorganic Chemistry Institute, the Genetics Institute, the Institute of Philosophy and History and many others. A pleasant spot is the campus of the Novosibirsk State University, one of the top three Russian Universities. It is known for the high quality of education that students receive here, which is, in part, thanks to the close cooperation with the numerous Research Institutes located in town. Students are lucky to have wonderful sports and recreational facilities: gyms, tennis courts, swimming pools, ice rinks and skiing centers.
You will also travel to Ob Sea, a man-made reservoir covering the area of 1,070 sq. km, 200 km long, 17 km wide and about 8 meters deep. The reservoir was created in 1950s, with the construction of Novosibirsk Hydroelectric Power Station. During summer it is one of the most popular getaways for Novosibirsk residents: numerous yachts and boats dot the surface of the sea, beaches are full of people.